Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Back When Hip Hop Was Relevant

Due to the horrible economy, I am back at home in Southern Alabama. Unfortunately for me, there is no decent radio stations here. No modern rock for me to listen to and since I refuse to listen to country music made after 1985 or Talk radio, it is C.D.s of the MP3 player for me...or Pop music radio.

So alas it is that we join the story at hand. On the radio today was what has to be the worst hip hop song in the history of the genre. In case you have never heard it here it is:

That is Niki Manaj with "Bees in the trap"  " ...I bees in that trap bee bees in tha trap..."  GOD DAMN!!! That is a catchy song...but FUCK...it sucks so fucking bad. That is what rap music is today. It is all catchy bull shit. No talent. I remember the good old days (you know you are old when you start using that phrase) when rap music was good...it was new...there was talent...there was innovation. Where the fuck is it now?  I blame Lil' Jon.  Now I like Lil' Jon but let's be honest...his music was more about production and yelling "WHAT" and "OH YEAH" more than anything else. I remember when I was a kid, a young white boy from the rural south, the first rap song that I ever really heard was "Walk This Way" by Run D.M.C. featuring Aerosmith. Neither group thought at the time that it was a good idea but the record company insisted that it would bring new fans to each group. OH so right they were. The song made me a fan of both groups. I soon fell in love with Run D.M.C. The Fat Boys and The Beastie Boys. Over the years I have discovered more hip hop artists old and new. But lets be honest. The vast majority of rap out there now sucks. I miss the good old days where there was a message, they used the art for something positive and useful. I apologize for getting that Nickie Manaj song in your head. Please take a moment to bleach it out with these songs from back when rap was relevant to the world...and actually meant something.
GrandMaster Flash - "The Message"
Melle Mel - "Vice"
Grandmaster Flash - "White Lines"
Arrested Development - Tennessee
Authors Note: It seems that her name is spelled nicki manaj...if I've misspelled it...well...who the fuck cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment